12th State Training Notes | October 23rd – Dec 3rd (6 Weeks)
Thanks for taking the time to fill out the coaches’ survey! Over 75% of our membership submitted a survey, thank you!
As it gets colder the garage doors will go down. With that being the case… the amount of space will seem to shrink. If you really want to get after it and GET SOME, you are still more than welcome to take equipment outside so long as you put it back later. You will see coach Cliff do this as much as possible in order to stay out of the way of class and it is his gym. So no special treatment for anyone else, so basically if you want to get after it and there is no space in thee gym, get some outside and get a little bit fitter. You can also workout off to the side, so long as the current class allows that. Your body will thank you and so will your fellow members who are trying to Crush Fitness in Class!
Additional work as it always has been, will be at the mercy of the current class. Class gets priority. You must always ask the Coach on duty where you can lift/row/metcon/etc…
If you do not want to dodge classes or workout outside then hit up the 6 hours of Open Gym 1030am- 330pm (M-Fri) and 7-8pm(M-Th)
We will all have a deload WEEK (OCTOBER 23rd-29th) – ALL WOD PATHS.
What is a “deload”?…
It is a chance to reload, back down on the weights, volume, intensity and frequency of the heavy lifts and loads. Enjoy the week, do not stress about scores, weights, rep schemes… just workout!
Benchmark WODs this cycle:
- Conan The Destroyer (12th State CrossFit): “3 Rounds: 50 WB (20/14) + 20 BBJO (24/20)”
- Elizabeth “21-15-9: Cleans (135/95) + Ring Dips”
- Diane – “21-15-9: Deadlifts (225/155) + HSPU”
- Jackie – “1000m Row + 50 Thrusters (45) + 30 Pull-ups”
The focus for this track until the Open comes around will be “capacity” and ability to perform the movements commonly seen in the CrossFit Games Open. I.e. If you follow the competitive programming your main goal and reason for training on this track will be to crush the Open.
If that seems like you in a “nutshell”, then you should follow this route. Do NOT follow competition because you think it is the “best” route or the “top” path, it is NOT. It is only the best path for those who want to “compete” in CrossFit and should not be the end training goal, unless, again… you want to compete.
Why are we going up and down with percentages? (What is a wave and why are we doing it?) To keep it simple we will be using increasing loads and heavy singles to potentiate the nervous system, so when it comes time to lift the triples and doubles in the next wave and also the heavier singles in the next wave, we will be able to lift MORE!
For the weight lifting this cycle, we will pair the Olympic Lifts with some gymnastics work. (see week one below). A few reasons for this:
1) We grow when we are exposed to new challenges/stimuli, this will be a new stimulus.
2) Increased time efficiency while in the gym. (At the end of the lifting EMOM below, you will have climbed to 80% in the Hang Clean and achieved 10-10-8-8 Reps for HSPU)
3) Rarely in Competitive CrossFit do we get to stare at a bar and lift with nothing else happening…(Yea it happens sometime, but not often, CFGames Open 17.3 for example…C2B and Squat snatches)
How should you approach the lifts?
- Focus! IF you are doing comp, you should be able to achieve all reps in gymnastics portion of the EMOM, and hit your % for the lifts (Don’t have percentages, and/or need to scale gymnastics reps down…. You should take a look at the Sport section for this cycle)
- Reps are the focus. You will not be lifting a ton of reps during this cycle, so your focus should be to hit ALL REPS. Do not leave reps on the table. If you are missing % and you are just a little off one day, drop 10-20 pounds and hit the reps.
- Come in with a game plan. Have your weights and percentages calculated prior to class. Classes with lifting (M/T/W/Fr) Will move QUICK. We will not have time to weight up for you to calculate last minute.
Monday: Hang Clean, Cleans + HSPU (WAVE)
Tuesday: Jerks (WAVE)
Wednesday: Snatch + C2B (WAVE)
Friday: Front Squats (with drop sets)
Saturday: Clean and Jerks & Snatch (Additional)
The focus of this track will be to supply you with the BEST CrossFit style programming around. Our focus is not on “Competing” in CrossFit but we still want to CROSSFIT!
This is for you. If you have been doing “Comp” but you are not competing, switch to Sport, you will be glad you did. Just look below at all of the fun you will be having!
Our focus will be to increase your ability to do movements like pull-ups, snatches, HSPU, Cleans, etc… BUT without a big focus on doing them in competition setting, we just want to do these things with virtuosity and be able to fight another day tomorrow!
We will also pair gymnastics work for you guys and girls, BUT it will be for the practice. The focus during our lifting sessions will be up to you. One day if you really want to hammer the gymnastics and work on your HSPU, make sure you load up the bar lightly for the cleans, so you can hit your lifts and move back to the wall to get some coaching on the movement.
Monday: Hang Clean, Cleans + HSPU practice (Climb every week, try to get heavier each week)
Tuesday: Jerks (Climb every week, try to get heavier each week)
Wednesday: Snatch + pull-ups (Climb every week, try to get heavier each week)
Friday: Front Squats (with explosive super sets, box jumps and broad jumps)
Fitness! We are going to focus on the same basic movement patterns that we have been focusing on… but with a little different flavor.
We will also throw in some gymnastics practice for the complex movements (HSPU, Pull-up and Double unders.) Our Lifting sessions will still include something to get your heart rate up, either the Bike, Row, Double Unders, Run…) BUT we will also either do some lifting OR have a focused drill guided by the coach on duty to get you upside down for HSPU , chin over the bar for pull-ups and/or Jumping over the rope as it rotates around your body TWICE!!!
Monday: Rowing + Handstand drill
Tuesday: DB Press+ Assault Bike + Loaded Carry
Wednesday: Pull-up practice + Rowing + KB Focused Lift (Pull)
Friday: Front Squats + Core work + Double Under practice