Team 12th State: Competitor Development
The road to the CrossFit Games begins long before the CrossFit Open, and those interested in training at this level must make a serious commitment to train consistently year round.
At 12th State CrossFit, we pride ourselves on being unified as a group. We strive to create an environment that is all-inclusive and encourages everyone to work together. With that being said, we also know that the needs of someone competing in the sport of fitness vary considerably from someone just trying to stay in shape. The difference between competitor’s training and regular crossfit training varies mostly in load, volume, and skill work. Not everyone needs to clean and jerk 300 lbs or perform multiple consecutive muscle-ups, but competitors do. For this reason, we have created supplemental work for those desiring to compete with the goal of sending Team 12th State to the 2017 Atlantic Regionals.
If you are interested in competing for Team 12th State, the process will be as follows:
- Training 5-6 days per week with our regular classes is required. We recommend that you train M/T/W/Fri/Sat with Thursday as an optional day, and Sun as rest days.
- Complete all additional work when it is noted either after your regular class or during open gym.
- Attend our supplemental Competitor Training Camps which will be held approximately once per month beginning in the summer and increasing in frequency throughout the fall.
- Those that attend consistently, show a strong desire and commitment, and perform exceptionally well in the 2016 Open will be considered for selection by Coach Cliff. As the Open approaches, we will begin to separate our 12th State Competitors into teams of 3 men and 3 women to encourage camaraderie, cooperation, and teamwork. The top team will include our strongest athletes with the fewest overall weaknesses. It is our desire to have a well-oiled machine ready for the 2016 Open.
Competitor Training Rules
- Competitor training camps will be approximately 2 hours in duration and held during off-hours on Saturday or Sunday, times to be announced in advance.
- Everyone who has a desire to compete is welcome to attend the extra sessions. Understand, though, that there will be less warm and fuzzies than our regular classes. Show up ready to throw down.
- Competitors are members of 12th State CrossFit first and foremost, and competitor training will never take priority over our regular classes. We train as a group 95% of the time and want it to stay that way. Competitors are expected to be good role models in the gym and active members of our community.
- At some point, a decision has to be made on who the top 6 athletes will be to represent Team 12th State. Not everyone can make it, and that’s okay. We are all part of the team and are here to support each other. Injuries and other unforeseen circumstances may create different needs and we all need to be on the ready. Furthermore, there are many other local competitions outside of the CrossFit Regionals, and we encourage all of our members to experience these events when possible.
After reading this, if you have an interest in competing, contact Coach Cliff at firstname.lastname@example.org.