12th State CrossFit | Training Notes | November 11th – December 31st, 2019
Overarching goals for all 3 paths:
- General Physical Preparedness; our training will help you become faster, stronger, and a better all-around human.
- Burn; Our training will help you burn excess energy, calories, and stress from the day! (or yesterday for our morning people)
- Focus on Longevity; Our programming was developed with your safety and longevity in mind, we want you to be healthy and happy after each training session
6 ways to get the most out of your workouts:
- Diet. You cannot out-train a bad diet. Eat well, eat clean, and eat enough to support daily energy needs and limit the excess.
- Sleep/Rest. You need 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Make sure you are setting up your daily schedule to make this happen. Also if you are feeling overly fatigued, take a rest day. We all need a day off sometimes.
- Leave your ego at the door. Your daily workouts are for you. Make sure the weights, reps, and movements you are selecting match your training goals and needs.
- Ask for help. Our professional staff is always available for questions and guidance. We are here to serve you.
- Be Consistent. Set your schedule before the week starts and make sure you get to the gym.
- Mobilize and Stretch. Make sure you are spending time pre and post-workout to work on your muscle and body. Also make sure that you are attending our weekly Yoga sessions at 6:30 pm on Thursdays.
November and December will be the Cycle of Gains!!!! Expect to lift 4 days a week. As this 6-week cycle progresses, expect both the volume and the percentages to go up. You will be super strong heading into the New Year!! If strength isn’t your goal, don’t you worry, there will be the same amount in fitness to keep you moving! We will cap this cycle with 2 weeks of fun de-load workouts throughout the holiday season.
Monday: Clean and Jerk Progression
We will kick off the week with Clean and Jerk. This unique clean progression will have athletes bouncing back and forth between position work the first 90 seconds then putting those positions to work in the next 90 seconds, for a total of 8 rounds. As we get deeper into this cycle, we will focus on the clean and jerk, with our final week getting the opportunity to max out our clean and jerk!
As for the Metcons, we will start with a 2 round workout. Each week we will add an extra round while switching the volume and movements. As we add rounds to each week, focus on pacing and transitions within each movement. Each transition is an opportunity to rest, so practice managing our rest and transitioning quickly.
Tuesday: Back Squat
Expect to start with a lot of volume and hold a lot of volume through the duration of this squat cycle. We will stay on an E2MOM for the duration of the cycle so be ready to move when we get you going. In the final weeks, we will do 10 sets of squats!!!!!! Comp will have percentages while Sport will go by feel, but know that we will get the opportunity to go up each week. For the first 4 weeks, athletes will stay at the designated weight across all sets climbing weekly. Week 5 we will climb and week 6 we will max out!
Our metcons will typically be AMRAPS on Tuesdays to control time as we will be spending a large amount of time in the racks.
Wednesday: All the Gains!!! Bench AND Deadlift
As explained we will be under load a lot this cycle. Wednesday will consist of 16 minutes E2MOM x 8 of Deadlifting and Benching. Athletes will have 2 minutes to get all the work done, however, athletes will ONLY max one of these lifts at the end of this cycle. You can choose to focus more of your attention on the lift you choose to max but you will perform both lifts. The time-domain of the lifting will remain the same but the rep scheme will decrease while the load increases each week. Coaches will be there to help guide you through the E2MOM if you don’t understand.
Wednesday metcons will always feature an EMOM 12. Typically you will see some sort of cardio movement one minute and a classic CrossFit complex the next. Get excited to see some of your favorites on Wednesdays!
Thursday: Endurance Mix
On Thursdays, you will see a mixture of time domains and metcons. They will, of course, feature our bodyweight movements along with our machines. We will have to get creative as it gets cooler out, but still, look to get a good sweat out of our Thursdays!
Friday: Front Squat
Our Friday will follow the exact same cycle as Tuesdays!!! Volume, volume, and more volume. We will max our Front squat at the end of this cycle. As for the metcons, we will be completing AMRAPS these days too!
Saturday: Partner or Solo
Our format will remain the same for Saturday, long partner or solo workouts. Because we are loading the legs so much over the week we are going to try to go light on loading the legs over the weekend. Moving on the weekend can help you recover for the next week so grab a friend and come on in.
Sunday: Endurance Partner or Solo
We are bringing the partner WOD option to a few of our Sundays as well! With the volume, we are holding over the week we want to offer up options to come in and move. If you are into long solo workouts you will still have your metcons to crush on Sunday!